2K is an American global developer, marketer, distributor and publisher of video games. 2K Games is a subsidiary of Take-Two Interactive. It was created on January 25, 2005 after Take-Two acquired developer Visual Concepts and its wholly owned subsidiary Kush Games from Sega for US$24 million.
The name "2K Games" comes from Visual Concepts' sports game lineup typically referred to as the 2K series, which were originally published exclusively for the Dreamcast console. 2K Games is headquartered in Novato, California. The label publishes a wide variety of console and PC titles developed both internally and externally.
2K Games have been nominated for the BAFTA awards for their game Borderlands 2.
Studios[edit | edit source]
- 2K Sports in New York City, United States, founded in 2005
- 2K China in Shanghai, China, founded in 2006
- 2K Czech in Brno, Czech Republic, founded in 1997 as Illusion Softworks, acquired in 2007
- 2K Marin in Novato, California, founded in 2007
- 2K Australia in Canberra, Australia, founded in 1999 formerly Irrational Games Australia
- Firaxis Games in Hunt Valley, Maryland, founded in 1996, acquired on November 7, 2005.
- Irrational Games in Quincy, Massachusetts, founded in 1997, acquired in 2006, formerly 2K Boston/Australia (2007–2010)